decadent. lazy. cabbage and white bean soup.

Okay, those two books: Falling Boy by Alison McGhee, which is lovely - a 194 page poem, and Manhattan Loverboy by Arthur Nersesian. At some point in the reading of the latter I realized I had read something else by Nersesian - he's crazy - only can't remember what.

Just got back from Gainesville, where I traveled solo to celebrate Ruby's BIRTHDAY (if you're my Flickr friend you can view the beautiful chaos there), read The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin, and decided that for this week I will subsist on cabbage and white bean soup. I have heard that cabbage is an amazing metabolic speedball of death. To fat. Sounds like the cure for what ails me.

Have you seen this? Netflix hasn't heard of it. I think Ink 19 needs to request a review copy, don't you?

Week two of vacation, this one being a surprise gift as Harris Stratex made me an offer I couldn't refuse on Friday so I quit the job I hadn't started yet to accept it. Orient in a week - that's the decadent and the lazy part of this post. In anticipation of having to bust ass to get up to speed at the new job, I'm laying low in the "get things done" department here at home. Suhweet.

cabbage and white bean soup

2 TBSP olive oil
a big white or yellow onion, not a sweet one, chopped
3 carrots, I don't peel 'em, sliced
a small green cabbage, nothing fancy, cut up somewhat
1 tsp caraway seeds

4 cups water or enough to fill the pot
2 tsp salt
some black pepper
2 or 3 tomatoes, chopped

1 can of white beans like cannelini, navy, garbanzo
2 TBSP cider vinegar, rice vinegar will also do

Saute the first block of ingredients a few minutes - this means saute whatever you've got chopped while you're chopping the rest of it, toss in the seeds, and move on.

Add the next chunk and bring to a boil. Let it roll for about 20 minutes.
Add the beans and vinegar and just warm through.

It seems too simple to be good, but it is. I've substituted all kind of tomatoey things for the tomatoes - I think the original recipe called for tomato paste, I sometimes have leftover jarred spaghetti sauce, even ketchup will work.

Makes enough soup for one person to subsist on for a week.

Comments

Popular Posts