kombucha!

Is ready! After a 9-day ferment, I have a whole crapload of kombucha to convince my kids to drink. Ian's home tonight and I'm thinking he'll try it - if only so he can get in on the making-some-more process when this batch runs out.

I ended up with a really pretty mushroom baby. Can't really say that about the mother, which became an ugly yeasty wedge (don't take it personally, Merritt, it was lovely for a while). According to Günther Frank I can throw it away, so I'll add it to the loquat, squash, and persimmon seeds in the compost bin. Uh huh. That's right. My compost bin is an incubator for living things unlike some others that eschew life and all its weeds.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'll bet you love to listen to System of a Down's first album.

Please mail some kombucha to Maryland for me to consume and become healthy!
librose said…
Oh wow, I tried to make the connection between SOAD (sometimes fans shorten their name to SOAD!) and kombucha, but the sad SOAD website has a terrible perpetual motion machine with elusive labels on it and I hate it too much to discover its meaning! What is it, Marty, hippie music for fungus lovers?

Dude. I'm sending you a mushroom.
Anonymous said…
I will gladly explain my admittedly cryptic connection. The hit song Sugar by SOAD (if I knew you were such a big fan, I would have shortened the name earlier!) begins "The Kombucha mushroom people sitting around all day." Sadly, that is all the familiarity I have ever had with Kombucha mushrooms.

I can't believe I am going to get a mushroom in the mail. My parents are going to think I am insane. Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes!

Popular Posts