soup me, please, split pea soup


Peas, originally uploaded by rosiepet.
Tatyana says I make a lot of soup. So be it.

I know the last soup I posted was also split pea. I don't care. This one has BACON.

bacon split pea soup

1/4 lb. bacon, chopped small
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 or 5 cloves garlic, smooshed
3 carrots, sliced
8 oz. green or yellow split peas, rinsed
2 qts. chicken stock plus water to fill the pot
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp marjoram
salt and pepper

In a gallon-sized soup pot, sauté the bacon over med-high heat until it begins to brown. You can pour off some of the fat if you'd like, but leave enough to sauté the rest of the vegetables in. Add the onion, garlic, and carrots and cook for a few minutes. Add the peas, stock, water, and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about an hour or until the peas fall apart. Top with green onions or parsley, or a mixture of tomatoes, onions, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Comments

Popular Posts