Bacon apple pie


Bacon apple pie, originally uploaded by rosiepet.
Since I promised my boyfriend's sister I'd make her a bacon apple pie when she visited, I did. I had made one before with a woven bacon-strip top crust, and though it was pretty, the bacon didn't add much to the pie, which was weird, because there was a lot of it. Ian suggested crumbling cooked bacon into the crumb topping this time, and it was, I must say, delicious.

bacon apple pie

4 oz. thick-cut bacon
5 green apples, peeled, halved, and sliced 1/4" thin
juice of half a lemon
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground coriander
2 TBSP butter, cut into thin slices
1 pie shell

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp ginger
4 TBSP butter

Cook the bacon - I bake mine in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes - until it's crispy but not burned. Set it aside to cool.

Slice the apples, drizzling lemon juice over them as you add them to a big bowl to keep them from browning. Add the flour, sugar, salt, and spices and mix everything up to coat the apples.

Pour the apple filling into the unbaked pie shell - I use a frozen one because I am sane - and dot with the butter.

Combine the oats, flour, sugar, salt, and spices in a food processor and blend for a few seconds to break up the oats a bit. Add the butter and pulse a few seconds to just mix it in. You may have to repeat the pulsing a couple of times, but don't overdo it; you want to end up with pea-sized chunks of crumbs, not dough. Crumble up the cooked, cooled bacon and mix it into the crumbs.

Pile the crumbs on top of the pie filling and bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes.

Comments

librose said…
Talk about yum! Now I'm hungry.

Popular Posts