kitchen counter cole slaw

At the risk of inviting botulism upon all those who make this here recipe, I'm going to go right on ahead and say that the second-greatest thing about this cole slaw is that you can leave it on your table all day long while the adults toss back beer after beer (after beer after beer...) and, when the aforementioned adults finally remember that there's food on the table and yes, they're pretty hungry again, it will still get eaten. The first-best thing about this cole slaw is that it is undeniably delicious. Mangia.

The only thing this photo has in common with cole slaw is cabbage, which you can probably buy at the downtown Minneapolis farmer's market.

no-mayo cole slaw

one green cabbage
one red cabbage half as large as the green one
3 or 4 green onions, sliced
a carrot if you want it, grated
1/2 cup toasted sesame oil - there are no substitutes for this
1/4 cup rice or apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp celery seed if that's how you roll

Slice the cabbages as thinly as you can manage - I aim for slices about 2 1/2" long by 1/8" wide - with a KNIFE, not a food processor. Rinse the beautifully hand-sliced cabbage in a colander, and drain out as much of the rinsing water as you can.

Toss the cabbage together with the onions and carrots in a gigantic bowl, and dribble the oil over the vegetables - you want to coat everything in oil without sending it swimming. Add the vinegar, salt, sugar, and celery seed if you're using it.

Taste the slaw to make sure you have a good balance of yummy (that's the sesame oil) to tart, and salty to sweet.

You guys know I don't ever measure when I cook, so these amounts are ballpark figures that you'll probably adjust, before leaving a comment to ask me what the hell I was thinking. The comment I leave you, in turn, will most likely explain my documented prowess in the kitchen, which lets me off the measuring hook for eternity.

Chill the whole deal for a couple of hours if you can wait that long, and that's the whole shebang.

Comments

Ariela said…
Heeeey is this the magic cole slaw you made when I came?! Yaaaaaaay!
librose said…
Yes, it is! I'm glad you liked it.

Popular Posts