Sesame steak and bok choy


Sesame steak and bok choy., originally uploaded by rosiepet.
We went to Minneapolis for winter break. It was cold enough to freeze our New Year champagne there, and (in the spirit of the season) I accompanied my family to the Mall of the Americas (the name of which I purposely bastardized out of respect for the Central and South Americans who also love to buy overpriced clothes that look like everyone else's), but aside from those differences, my days were pretty much spent as usual. I cooked food for my kids in their well-stocked kitchen while drinking almost all of the champagne by myself.

I spent my vacation with teetotalers. They don't mind me too much. Jacob's cartoons almost eliminated the need for wine, but not quite. Let's not be unreasonable.

It was fantastic seeing my kids and getting a good visual of the places that they spend their days, but it was nice to get back to my own kitchen, where the sesame oil, rice, and garlic are right where I left them and the wine flows like I like it. Sláinte, y'all, you're coming to my house next winter.

sesame steak and bok choy

2 TBSP olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
about 6 cups bok choy, rinsed and sliced, white and green parts
2 TBSP toasted sesame oil
a leftover cooked chuck eye steak, sliced thinly
3 green onions, sliced big. white and green parts
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

In a cast iron skillet on med-high heat, sauté the garlic in the olive oil for just a minute (don't let it brown). Add the white parts of the bok choy and sauté until slightly browned, then add the green parts and cook until wilted and beginning to brown. Add the sesame oil and steak and turn the heat up to high – you want to sear everything at this point, letting the steak brown in just a few places – a few minutes is all you need. Add the green onions, sesame seeds, salt, and red pepper and stir around a bit, pretending to cook them but really just making everything warm and toasty. Serve over basmati rice that has been cooked with a few minced cloves of garlic added to the water.

You can make this with a not-leftover steak, too. Just add it to the pan before the green part of the bok choy and make sure it's cooked almost to your liking before you add the rest.

Comments

Popular Posts