black-eyed peas, 2012 style

I make these often, and though I think they're the same each time, looking back at my recipe from 2009, I now realize that I am a big, fat liar. I am pretty sure that this version is what I answered with when asked how I made them this year, but as I was under the influence of Prosecco in abundance, I cannot be quite sure.

new year black-eyed peas

2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP minced fresh ginger
1 cup minced shallots or 1 chopped large onion
2 giant lemons, minced peel + juice, separated
2  pounds dry black-eyed peas, rinsed, soaked overnight, drained
Water to cover the peas by a few inches
2 tsp salt + more to taste if needed
1 chili, dry or fresh
1 or 2 bay leaves
Another lemon, juiced
Cilantro, chopped

Bring the oil to medium-high heat in a big soup pot. Add the ginger, shallots or onions, and lemon peel. You could add garlic if you want it, as well, but you don't need it. Sauté until beginning to brown, just a couple of minutes.

Add the peas and enough water to cover by a few inches, then the salt, chili, bay leaves, and juice from the lemons. I used two Meyer lemons, which produced at least a cup of juice, but use as many lemons as you need to make them a bit on the tart side. Check the water as you're cooking to make sure the peas stay swimming in lots of broth. I like my peas soup-like, which works well if you serve them with rice.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered until the peas are soft and delicious, about two hours or so.

Add in more juice from a half (or whole) lemon, adjust salt, and top with fresh cilantro.

Comments

Popular Posts