sweet potato curry, thank you

I'm not supposed to eat white potatoes - let's not talk about it - but the sweet ones are fine, and it's a good thing they're also delicious. Potato curry is one of my family's favorites, and my usual version is a sort of Indian and Thai combination. When we came across some gorgeous purple sweet potatoes, I figured it was a good time to give my old, already twisted recipe another twist.

Turmeric and ginger, ready for mincing.
I like to get the chopping done before I begin cooking, so I pile my chopped fresh ginger and turmeric in a little teacup, and my dried spices in another little teacup, so they're easy to dump into the pan when it's time.
All the chopped-up stuff is in little teacups, ready to add quickly to the hot pan.

sweet potato curry

  • olive oil
  • 3 or 4 sweet potatoes, washed, cubed, dried off
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1" fresh ginger, peeled, minced
  • 1" fresh turmeric, peeled, minced (or 1/2 tsp dried, added with the other dry spices)
  • 1 fresh chili (or 1 tsp dried, added with the other dry spices)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 4 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • salt + pepper
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 can coconut milk (not cream, Priscilla ;)
  • 2 or 3 green onions, green parts sliced into 1" pieces, white parts sliced smaller
  • a handful of cilantro, roughly chopped

In a cast iron dutch oven or, if you're as lucky as I am, a cast iron wok, heat 2 TBSP olive oil to high heat. As soon as the oil is hot, add the sweet potato cubes and cook until they are beginning to brown, stirring constantly so that they don't burn or stick. You want the potatoes to develop a sort of crust, so they hold their shape when they're cooking in the sauce.
Purple and orange sweet potatoes are a pretty combination.
Remove the potatoes to a big bowl and add another couple of TBSP olive oil to the pan. Sauté the onions until just golden, and then add in the ginger and turmeric if you're using fresh. Sauté for a minute or two, and then add in the dried spices. Stick your nose closer to the pan because, my god, this smells good.
I use a combination of yellow and black mustard seeds, just because that's how I roll (they roll, too).
Once the mustard seeds begin to pop, add in the tomatoes and stir around for a minute. Pour in the coconut milk, add salt + pepper, and then add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for about a half-hour, or until the potatoes are just tender. Add in the green onions and stir around for just a moment.
Don't be fooled - this is parsley, even though cilantro is better, because Publix was OUT of cilantro (oh, the humanity).

Serve this baby in bowls, garnished with cilantro (or parsley if it is absolutely necessary). Maybe even a squirt of lime.
Here is a bonus shot of what I look like when I cook, because Hannah thinks I should be in my blog. LOOK at that gorgeous wok! $12 at the giant Asian market in Orlando.

Comments

Popular Posts